Friday, March 27, 2015

Fostering Life Long Learners

Attending the Napa Valley Education Exchange this week, I learned even more about Growth Mindset - something I am very excited and passionate about - so much so, I decided to write my first blog post!


Have you ever thought to yourself - “This is too hard.  I cannot do this.  I am not a ____ (math, art, music, science) person.”  Have you ever heard students say - “My mom/ dad isn’t a _____ (math or science) person either.” This is known as having a Fixed Mindset.  


Growth Mindset is understanding that we can develop our abilities. As teachers, we need to model and teach this to our students so that they can grow as learners.  When working with our students, we want to support and encourage them and we use General Encouragement. For example, “You are really smart.” Instead, we should say, “The harder you try, the better you get,” or “The more you practice, the more your brain grows.” We want our students to be true lifelong learners.  We need to believe that “smart” is malleable, something we can work on, be better at.


Listening to Eduardo Briceno, CEO and co-founder of Mindset Works, I began to reflect on how I speak to students, even to my own daughter.  I want to be sure to encourage her and the students I work with, so that they understand we can develop our abilities.  


"Seeing Carol Dweck - Growth Mindset as a key to closing the achievement gap."
- Jeff Raikes, CEO, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation


Teaching the Core: For Noncognitive Skill Development, Start with Growth Mindset — Here’s How


No comments:

Post a Comment