Thursday, June 23, 2016

Takeaways from Day 3 of TCRWP Writing Institute June 22, 2016

I am already a day behind. With that in mind, I wanted to share a key takeaway or two or three or four, I gathered from Mary Ehrenworth’s morning session.

Tips for a Strong Mini-Lesson:
  • Make Connects
    • More engaging by starting with a story
    • Talking to audience as though they are writers
  • Stay in the voice of a mentor writer
    • Be aware of pronoun
      • If doing an inquiry ML - use we
      • If in role of teacher - use I and you
  • Read Aloud writing piece/text before working it (or at least read a part of it to intrigue them and get them to become familiar with the story)
    • Ss need to hear it at least once
  • Try to keep the energy up/excitement between the Connect and Teach
    • This was key for me - use a transition between your connect and teach such as:
      • Which leads me to, how we can do similar work as writers. Watch me as I show...
      • Which brings me to…

There is much more I learned from her about Inquiry Work during Writer’s Workshop yesterday and today, but that will be another post.

For now, here is a mini-lesson that was created with two other teachers yesterday. We had to give this mini-lesson to another group of teachers. I typed it up to include the takeaways from above. It focuses on paragraphing, so, it is geared more for third graders and those in fourth and fifth grade who may need reminders on why writers begin new paragraphs.

~Candace Whites

No comments:

Post a Comment